MBBS, MD, MCh, FAIS, FACS
Postgraduate training of MD (Resident training in Obstetrics & Gynaecology) was done at the prestigious Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi under Delhi University in 1983 and MCh (Genito-urinary Surgery) was done from Thiruvananthapuram Medical College under the University of Kerala in 1999 with excellent academic performance and become the first Lady Urologist in Kerala. She also had DNB Training in General Surgery from 2005-2007 from AIMS. She was awarded ICRETT fellowship Oncology in 1994, FAIS (Fellowship Association of Indian Surgeons) in 2012 and FACS (Fellow of American College of Surgeons) in 2016.
Currently working as HOD & Senior Consultant, Surgical & Gynec Oncology at VPS Lakeshore.
Role in Development of department:
● The First Gynaecological Cancer Surgery division in Kerala was started in 1993 by Dr. Chitrathara at Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. ● First Genito-urinary surgery & endoscopy (Diagnostic and Therapeutic) started in 1999 by Dr. Chitrathara at Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram. ● Started gynecologic oncology fellowship programmes at Amrita Institute of medical sciences 1st of such in Kerala. ● Started gynaecological & surgical oncology at Lakeshore hospital, Kerala. ● Started Association of Gynecological Oncology Society of India recognised fellowship programme at Lakeshore hospital, 1st of its kind in Kerala.
Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
April – October 1992
LEEP for Managing CIN
Jewish General Hospital, Montreal,Canada
02.11.1994 to 01.12.1994
Genito – urinary Surgery (Urology)
Medical College Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
July 1996 to December 1996
Appollo Hospital, Chennai.
1. Lecturer. Asst. professor and associate professor Surgical Oncology, Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram June 1990 - May 2003 2. Sr. consultant in surgical oncology, VPS Lakeshore Hospital, Kochi June 2003- October 2005 3. Professor of Surgical Oncology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi July 2005 - December 2009 4. HOD & Sr. consultant in surgical & gynecologic oncology, Welcare Hospital, Kochi January 2010 – December 2017 5. HOD & Sr. consultant in surgical & gynecologic oncology, VPS Lakeshore Hospital, Kochi 2010 – present
1. First lady Urologist of Kerala.
2. Started Gynaecological Cancer Surgery at Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram in 1993.
3. Started Genito-urinary surgery & endoscopy (Diagnostic and Therapeutic) at Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram in 1999.
4. Editor of the book “Ovarian Cancer- comprehensive & contemporary management” published by Jaypee brothers in 2008 & contributed 5 chapters also in it.
5. Editor of the book “cervical cancer- comprehensive & contemporary management” published by Jaypee brothers in 2010& contributed 2 chapters in it.
6. Co-editor of the book “Uterine Cancer” Diagnosis and Management.
Published by Springer, 2015.
7. Published Malayalam book “ Sthreekalile Arbudam” in 2014. For public awareness.
8. Contributed two chapters for the book “state of art vaginal surgery” published in 2007.
9. Principle investigator of the project funded by Dst, Kerala “prostate cancer screening in Kerala- a pilot study” submitted in 2011.
10. Published about >30 papers in peer-reviewed journals.
11. Union International Cancer Congress ICRETT Fellowship was awarded in 1994.
12. Introduced Loop Electrosurgical Excisional Procedure (LEEP) at Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram and considerable work was being done in early detection and prevention of cervical cancer.
13. Co-investigator of the project of Dst Kerala “ speculum examination in downstaging cervical cancer”.
14. Awarded FAIS in 2012.
15. Awarded FACS - Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 2016
Born on November 11, 1955, in Vaipur, Pathanamthitta, Kerala Dr. K.Chitrathara had her early school education at the NSS High School in Vaipur. She had her pre-degree course at Assumption College, Changanacherry. Then she joined the Kottayam Medical College for MBBS in 1973 and completed it in 1979 with good academic records.
AWARDS & FELICITATIONS:
1. National award of FOGSI 2014 “Dr. Duru Shah Distinguished Community Service Award”
2. Sri Ramakrishna Sevasramam award for community service December 2015
3. Musiris binale awards for Best Doctor in Kerala 2014 & 2015
4. Poonithura pouravali in 2013 on Gandhi Jayanthi day honored by Sri benny Behanan, MLA
5. Asraya & co-operative society, Poonithura honoured by Sri P Rajeev, M P, 2013
6. NSS Karayogam, Poonithura, 2015
7. Sargakshethra , Changanacherry in 2014
1.Flow cytometry in Uro-Oncology. review article JK Practitioner Vol 6 No. 4 Oct-Dec 1999 259-264 (1st author).
2. Invasive carcinoma uterine cervix: Review article. Asian J of Obstet & Gynecology. Vol5; No2; March-May 2001 (1st author).
3. Rectovaginal fistula: repair using bulbocavernosus flap: Technique in Coloproctology; vol 5; No.April 2001 (1st author).
4. Genital hygiene and other risk factors for cervical dysplasia among women in Kerala, South India. Paper submitted to World Health Forum,1998 (3rd article).
5. Recto sigmoid perforation in Carcinoma Cervix – A rare clinical presentation. J of Obstet- Gynaecological Assoc. of India June 1997 (1st author)
6. Successful management of Choriocarcinoma with pregnancy. Acta Oncol 1994 33:76 (2nd author).
7. Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma of Ovary. Acta Oncol 1994 33(6) (1st author).
8. Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease – Classification and Management: An Overview. J Clin Radiother Oncol 1993; 8(1):25-30 (1st author).
9. Pulmonary Hypertension – A rare presentation of Choriocarcinoma. Acta Oncol 1993 32(4) (2nd author).
10. Renal cell carcinoma - 10 years experience.J of Medical Sciences; 2000; 3(2);99 (1st author).
11. Ocular metastasis in Choriocarcinoma.BJR; 1999; 72:1216-1217 (2nd author)
12. Chronic systemic (Hepatosplenic) candidiasis in a patient with granulocytic sarcoma. AJC; 2000; 23(6): 562 – 563 (3rd author).
13. Primary granulocytic sarcoma of the ovary. AJC;2000; 23(3) 239-240 (3rd author).
14. Primary Choriocarcinoma of the ovary – Report of 2 cases. IJC ; 2000; 23 (3): 239 – 215 (2nd author).
15. Book Chapter: - K.Chitrathara, Rema P: Radical vulvectomy with Groin dissection with video of groin dissection. State of Art Vaginal Surgery, 2007 p 184-194, Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi.
16. Book Chapter:- K Chitrathara, Namrata Kacchara: Vaginectomy State of Art Vaginal Surgery, 2007 p 184-194, Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi.
17. Vedeo on Radical Vulvectomy Book on Vedeos 2007.
18. K Chitrathara; Carcinoma Ovary(review article) Amrita J 2007 p.
19. A case report titled “Androgen secreting steroid cell tumor of the ovary in a young lactating woman with acute onset of severe hyperandrogenism: a case report and review of literature, Journal of Medical Case Reports,UK 2007, 1:182
20. A research article titled “Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in advanced Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A retrospective study, Indian Journal of Medical and Pediatrics Oncology vol.28 No 1, 2007.
21. Sentinel Node Biopsy in cervical cancer-A pilot study.Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology,2007;vol 28(4)
22. Squamous cell carcinoma in bladder extrophy-a case report and review of literature accepted by Indian Journal of Medical and Pediatrics Oncology July 2008.
23. Editor of Book Ovarian Cancer Comprehensive and Contemporary Management’.2008; Jaipee brothers,New Delhi.
24. Therapeutic Sentinel Node Biopsy in Vulvar Cancer. Amrita J of Medicine. 2009; vol5.No1, jan-june p31.
25. Co-editor of the book ”Uterine Cancer Diagnosis and Management" Published by Springer, 2015.
26. Co-Editor of Book "Cervical Cancer Comprehensive & Contemporary Management " 2011; Jaipee brothers, New Delhi.
27. Chitrathara K, Sheikh ZA, Vijayakumar D K. Is hysterectomy needed in Ovarian Cancer: Ind J Cancer; 2011, vol 48, issue 4, Oct-Dec.
28. Govindarajan Vinothini, Chairmandurai Aravindaraja, K Chitrathara: Correlation of matrix metalloproteinases & angiogenesis in premenopausal patients with adenocarcinoma of the breast. Clinical Biochemistry 2011,44, 969-974.
29. K Chitrathara. What is new in carcinoma endometrium? J KFOG.
30. K Chitrathara, Asima khan,Neetha Sreedharan et al., Discrepancy between Clinico Radiological and surgicopathological staging in stage 1 carcinoma endometrium: identification of risk factors published by Indian J Cancer in 2015;52:677-80.
31. K. Chitrathara, Asima Khan, Neetha Sreedharan, Neha Shriya, Simi Raj Vaginal vault metastasis- The new enigma in port site recurrences in gynaecological laparoscopic surgery. Gynaecology and MinimallyIinvasive Therapy: 2016, Vol.5, Issue 3 P 116-119.
32. Cancer in pregnancy. JK Practitioner, vol. 6 ; no:2, April-June 1999 (2nd author).
33.T.J. Simi Raj, K.Chitrathara, Pushpa Mahadevan et al Struma Ovarii Presenting with Pseudo – Meig’s Syndrome and Elevated CA 125 Levels. Indian Journal of Gynecologic Oncology November 2016- 14: 56
Special CT angiogram & Conventional angiogram in renal disease, Point counterpoint session, Annual Conference, Urological Association of Kerala, Dec 1998, Madurai.
Renal cell carcinoma - 10 years experience. Annual Conference, Urological Society of India, Oct 1998, Kottayam, Kerala.
Incidence & age distribution of Carcinoma prostate at Annual Conference, Urological Association of Kerala, Nov 1997, Alappuzha, Kerala.
Wilms tumor early stage NWTS slop. Point counterpoint session, Annual Conference, Urological Association of Kerala, Nov 1997, Alappuzha, Kerala.
Second Cancers in uterine corpus cancer, Association of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of India, 1992.
Infection in IUCD wearers, Association of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of India, 1990.
Management of Ca bladder: Urology assoc. of Kerala, Ernakulam 2000.
Surgical Management of Prostate cancer: CME IMA, Thiruvananthapuram,2001.
Palliation in urologic oncology: CME, Palliative care RCC, Thiruvananthapuram, 2001.
Surgical management of Ovarian carcinoma.CME, assc.of Medical Oncology, Calicut.
Surgical management of Testicular tumors: CME, Association of Medical Oncology, Thiruvananthapuram, 2002.
Management of ovarian cancer: CME, assoc. of Medical Oncology, Thrissur,2001.
Breast cancer awareness: Rotary club, Ernakulam, 2003.
Surgical management of Breast cancer: Gynecology assoc. meeting, Ernakulam, 2003.
Ovarian carcinoma management options: Gynecology association,2002.
Carcinoma Cervix: management options: All Kerala meeting Gynecology association, Kottayam, 2003.
Surgical management of invasive carcinoma cervix: CME, Kottayam oncology assoc.2003.
Genitourinary cancers: IMA meet, Pathanamthitta, 2004.
Synchronous uterine & ovarian cancer in primary infertility: Gynecology assoc, Ernakulam.2004.
Carcinoma in the ectopic bladder: Urology assoc, of Kerala, Ernakulam, 2004.
Post-radiation surgery in bladder tumors UAK, Kochi 2003
Cervical cancer-early detection, AICOG Kochi, 2005
Pelvic Exenteration for ca cervix, initial experience. Assoc of Gynec oncologists of India(AGAICON) 2005, Patna
Video presentation on paraaortic LN dissection Assoc of Gynec Oncologists of India,2006, New Delhi
Surgical faculty workshop AGAICON, midterm conference, Coimbatore
Management of ca endometrium gynaecology assoc 2007, Ernakulam
Management of ca endometrium gynaecology assoc 2007, Alleppey
Role of secondary cytoreduction in ovarian cancer. CME gynaecological cancers at AIIMS, New Delhi, 2009
Borderline Ovarian Tumors. COGS Kochi
Key Note Address: Prognostic factors in Ovarian malignant Tumors: National Pathology Conference, 2010
Post radiation surgeries in gynec cancers AGOCON 2009 Panelist, a panel discussion on urological injuries. AGOICON 2010, Bangalore
Prognostic factors in ovarian cancer, YUVA FOGSI, Kochi,2010.
Early Breast Cancer. YUVA FOGSI, Kochi, 2010
Cancer Screening, CME for practising doctors, Kumarakom, 2011
Video presentation on "retrograde hystectomy" Association of gynaecologists of Delhi Annual meet 2011
Surgery of Breast Cancer. symposium on oncology , IMA 2011
Role of exenterative surgeries in carcinoma cervix. guest lecture in Breast-Gynec Cancer symposium Pune Jan 2012
Talk on 'retrograde Hyserectomy' AKCOG feb 2012
Role of ovarian cancer screening. AGOI, Mumbai 2012
Panelist symposium on GCT, AGOI Pondicherry, 2013.
Point counterpoint on lymphadenectomy in cancer endometrium. AGOI, Pondicherry 2013.
Hormone-resistant prostate cancer. 2014 organised by Aster Medicity.
Preservation in endometrial cancer - in KFOG Trivandrum, 2015.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
● Association of Urologists of India.
● Association of Surgeons of India
● Indian Medical Association.
● Assoc of Gynec Oncologists of India.
● Association of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists of India.
● Indian Society of Oncology.
● Association of Urologists of Kerala.
● Association of South Zone Urologists of India.
1. Chairperson Oncology Committee Kerala Federation of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2013-2015
2. Cochin Obstet & Gynaecological Society (COGS) Secretary 2011-2012
3. COGS editor 2014-15
1. President: Gynaec Onco - Kare Society (charitable society). 2. Vice president: COGS 3. Vice President: Assoc of Surgical Oncologists of Kerala 4. Vice president: Cochin Oncology Group
HOD - Gynaec & Surgical Oncology