Accident & Emergency
Patients Login Portal
MBBS, MS (ENT), DNB (ENT), MCh (Head & Neck Surgery)
Dr Shawn T Joseph started the Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Department at VPS Lakeshore Hospital in July 2014. Since then the department has grown and developed into one of the finest in the country capable of handling the most complex head and neck cancer cases. It is one of the few Head and Neck units in the country which does the entire spectrum of head and neck cancer surgeries like microvascular reconstruction, transoral laser surgeries for larynx cancers and endoscopic skull base surgeries. The Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Department at VPS Lakeshore has performed more than 3000 major head and neck cancer surgeries of all levels of complexity during the last seven years.
During this period a strong Head and Neck Cancer Disease Management Group could be created by close collaboration with departments like Medical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Nuclear Medicine, Plastic and Reconstruction Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Neurosurgery, Pathology, Radiology, Endocrinology and Rehabilitation Sciences.
To keep track of the Head and Neck cancer scenario in the community and to improve outcomes, data on cancer and surgical outcome measures are documented for periodic analysis and improvement. The outcomes at the Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Department at VPS Lakeshore, measured in terms of surgical margin clearance and survival figures match the best internationally.
The head and neck oncology department at VPS Lakeshore practices “ No facial scar surgery for oral cancer” which aims to avoid facial incisions whenever possible for patients with oral cancer. The Head and Neck Surgical Oncology Department here has the largest published series of facial artery-based myomucosal and bone flaps, which is a reconstruction method providing like-for-like reconstruction in head and neck mucosal defects. He was also the leader of the team which described “TAMMIL”, a new surgery for preserving voice in selected larynx cancers, for patients in whom complete removal of the voice box was the only option available before. The technique was published in top peer-reviewed international journals. He has also described new surgical techniques in partial resection for larynx cancer and facial nerve identification.
He is the founder Director of the “ Institute of Head and Neck Sciences”, at VPS Lakeshore Hospital. He initiated “ Kocher’s Club”, which is an academic club meant for promoting discussion and innovation in Head and Neck Sciences.
Life member of Indian Medical Association
Life member of Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology
Life member Skull Base Society of India
Life member Indian Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
Member of Association of Otolaryngologists of India, Cochin, Kerala
Affiliate member, AOCMF
First rank with GOLD MEDAL in Master of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology) from Gujarat University in 2007.
International Travel Grant from the Department of Science and Technology, May 2012.
Won award at the AOI, Gujarat State Branch Conference,2006 for the study "ENDOSCOPIC REPAIR OF CEREBROSPINAL FLUID RHINORRHOEA: A STUDY"
• Bhattacharya S, Thankappan K, Joseph ST, Sukumaran SV, Shetty S, Mayadevi M, Balasubramanian D, Iyer S. Volume and Location of the Defect as Predictors of Swallowing Outcome After Glossectomy: Correlation with a Classification. Dysphagia. 2021 Jan 2.
• George A, Saseendran A, Joseph ST. Should ultrasound-guided resection be the new norm for oral tongue resections? Oral Oncol. 2021 Jul;118:105372.
• George A, Saseendran A, Joseph ST, Gopal KR. Submandibular gland - The victim of neck dissection. Oral Oncol. 2021 Oct 30;123:105591.
• B S N, Mohan MT, Tharayil J, Joseph ST. Islanded facial artery osteomyomucosal/osseous flap in head and neck reconstruction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021 Aug;50(8):1003-1008.
• Joseph ST, B S N, Mohan MT, Tharayil J. Comparison of islanded facial artery myomucosal flap with fasciocutaneous free flaps in the reconstruction of lateral oral tongue defects. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020 Aug;49(8):1000-1006.
• Joseph ST, Naveen BS, Mohan T M, Tharayil T J. Tracheal advancement with myomucosal island flap for partial laryngopharyngectomy defect reconstruction. Head Neck. 2018 Apr;40(4):E40-E44.
• Joseph ST, Tharayil J, Mihir MT, Naveen BS. Endoscope-assisted conservative resection and reconstruction in recurrent subglottic carcinoma. Head Neck. 2018 Apr;40(4):E36- E39.
• Joseph ST, Naveen BS, Mohan TM. Islanded facial artery musculomucosal flap for tongue reconstruction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Apr;46(4):453-455.
• Joseph ST. Islanded facial artery musculomucosal flap for tongue reconstruction: reply to the comment. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Aug;46(8):1061.
• Shivanand NB, Mohan MT, Joseph ST. Contralateral Islanded Facial Artery Myomucosal Flap for the Reconstruction of Floor of the Mouth Defect. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2018 Jun;11(2):157-160.
• Shawn T. Joseph, Shetty Sharankumar, C.J. Sandya, Vidhyadharan Sivakumar, Peter Sherry, Thankappan Krishnakumar, Iyer Subramania. Easy and Safe Method for Facial Nerve Identification in Parotid Surgery. J Neurol Surg( Skull Base), May 2015.
• Joseph ST, Thankappan K, Buggaveeti R, Sharma M, Mathew J, Iyer S. Challenges in the reconstruction of bilateral maxillectomy defects. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Feb;73(2):349-56.
• Shawn. T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Mathew J, Sharma M, Manju V, Subramania Iyer. The Defect Components and Reconstructive Options in Composite Orbito-maxillary Defects with Orbital Exenteration. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (In Press Accepted Manuscript; May, 2014).
• Shawn. T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Rahul Buggaveeti, Subramania Iyer. Pneumosinus Dilatans helping Sub-cranial Resection in a Patient with Advanced Ethmoid Malignancy. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstr. 2015 Sep;8(3):218-20.
• Joseph ST, Aravind T, Iyer S, Thankappan K. Comment on "A novel tumor: Specimen index for assessing the adequacy of resection in early stage oral tongue cancer" by Montero PH, Palmer FL, Shuman AG et al. [Oral Oncol 2014;50(3):213-20]. Oral Oncol. 2014 Apr 20.
• Shawn T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, Subramania Iyer, Reconstruction of a Combined Maxillectomy and Segmental Mandibulectomy Defect in a Seven-Year-Old with a Single Free Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap. Craniomaxillofac Trauma Reconstruction. January 2016
• Shawn T Joseph, Aliasgar V Moiyadi, Deepa Nair, Prashant V Pawar, Prathamesh S Pai. Special Considerations in Esthesioneuroblastoma of Sphenoclival Region. . International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, September-December 2012: 3(3): 158-162.
• Shawn T Joseph, Aliasgar V Moiyadi, Prathamesh S Pai, Deepa Nair. Schwannomas along Different Segments of Facial Nerve: Case Series with Review of Literature. International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, May-August 2011: 2(2): 103-108
• Shawn T Joseph, Neena H Bhalodiya, Ratnadeep Ghosh. Simultaneous Cerebrospinal fluid otorrhea and rhinorrhea as a cause of recurrent meningitis in a patient with cochlear dysplasia. European Journal of Pediatrics, March 2012.
• R Vishwakarma, T Joseph Shawn.Cochlear Implant in Cogan´s syndrome (Original Review article); European Archives of Oto- Rhino- Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, 1121-1124, Oct 2006.
• T Joseph Shawn, R Vishwakarma, MK Ramani, R Aurora. Cochlear implant and delayed facial palsy( Original Review). Cochlear Implant International (Official journal of the British Cochlear Implant Group), Feb 2009.
• R Vishwakarma, More Yogesh, T Joseph Shawn. Incudostapedial joint arthroplasty using temporalis fascia/perichondrium ties; American Journal of Otolaryngology, 171-175, May 2009.
• N H Bhalodiya, T J Shawn. CSF Rhinorrhoea: Endoscopic Repair Based On A Combined Diagnostic Approach; Indian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery; 120-126, June 2009.
• R Vishwakarma, T Joseph Shawn, Arpit Sharma, Rahul C Gupta. Endoscopic Removal of Sharp Foreign Bodies in Neck Using Image Intensified Television. International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery, May-August 2010: 1(2): 113- 116.
• R Vishwakarma, TJ Shawn. Giant Frontal Osteoma: Case report with review of literature; Indian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. 2011, Volume 63, Supplement 1, Pages 122-126.
• N H Bhalodiya, N Singh, Shawn T Joseph: Microdebrider in ENT; Gujarat Journal of otorhinolaryngology and head and neck surgery: 2, 1: 5
• Joseph, S. T; Rajapurkar, M.; Thankappan, K.; CS. Sampathirao, L. M.; Kuriakose, M. Abraham; Iyer, S. Oncological and Functional Outcome of the Preserved Eye in Malignant Sinonasal Tumors (Conference abstract). Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
• Joseph, S. T.; Thankappan, K.; Sampathirao, L. M. C.; Mathew, J.; Sharma, M.; Iyer, S.Orbital Exenteration Defect Reconstruction: Options and Outcome (Conference abstract) Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
• Thankappan, K.; Sampathirao, L. M. C.; Sharma, M.; Joseph, S. T.; Iyer, S. Orbital Floor Reconstruction with Free Flaps after Maxillectomy (Conference abstract)Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
•Thankappan, K.; Duraisamy, S.; Iyer, S.; Kuriakose, M. A.; Joseph, S. T. Craniofacial Resection for Malignant Paranasal Sinus Tumors: A Single-Center Experience (Conference abstract). Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base; Issue S 02, 2012
• Shawn T. Joseph, Krishnakumar Thankappan, B Rahul, Sharankumar Shetty, L.M. Chandrasekhara Rao, Moni A. Kuriakose, Subramania Iyer. of bilateral maxillectomy defect (Conference abstract). OP036, Oral Oncology - 1 May 2013 (Vol. 49, Supplement 1, Pages S17-S18)
Papers presented in international conferences
•´ Combined Modality treatment in advanced cancers of larynx and hypopharynx: site wise differences in survival outcomes´ at the World Congress on Larynx Cancer conducted at Cairns, Queensland, Australia, 26-30 July, 2015.
• ´Orbital exenteration defect reconstruction: options and outcome´ at the 6th International Congress of the World Federation of Skull Base Societies and 10th European Skull Base Society Congress, 16-19 May, 2012, Brighton, UK.
• ´Oncological and functional outcome of preserved eye in malignant sinonasal tumours´ at the 6th International Congress of the World Federation of Skull Base Societies and 10th European Skull Base Society Congress, 16-19 May, 2012, Brighton, UK.
• ´Reconstruction of bilateral maxillectomy defect´ at the 4th World Congress of the International Academy of Oral Oncology, Rhodes Island, Greece, 15-18 May, 2013
• Extra curricular achievements: Individual champion in annual
arts festival during his school and Medical College period.
Senior Consultant - Surgical Oncology, Head & Neck and Director of Institute of Head & Neck Sciences (IHNS)