Nephrology & Renal Transplantation
The Department of nephrology & renal transplantation is one of the premier renal centers of the country in terms of skill and experience and caters to a large number of patients. The department runs a successful renal transplantation programme, attracting patients from the entire state of Kerala, neighboring states as well as from abroad. Centre performs around 125-150 transplants every year of late and till now more than 1600 transplants have been performed. Team of doctors is known for their expertise in performing transplants in patients who are highly sensitized (those who have high titres of antibodies against the donor ) as well as across the blood group (recipient and donor having different/incompatible blood groups), with excellent results. Elderly (>65 yrs.), children and those with multiple medical multiple comorbidities are regularly accepted for transplant. Success rate is more than 95% and there are hundreds of patients who have completed more than 10 years after transplant on regular follow up.
Centre is also well known for its expertise in handling complex renal problems like thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA), different types vascuilitides and autoimmune diseases and complex electrolyte disorders.
There is a large number of patients with Chronic Disease (CKD) on follow up with the centre and comprehensive management strategies to reduce the progression of CKD is a highlight. A large maintenance haemodialysis program (1600 to 1700 sessions per month), online haemodiafiltration, CAPD program, 5 dedicated machines for performing CVVH, CVVHD and CVVHDF in the critically ill patients and two apheresis machines for performing plasmapheresis are notable features. Renal biopsy service with immunofluorescence (in house nephropathologist) and electron microscopy is also available.
The department runs a training programme for the diplomate of national board (DNB in Nephrology). Regular academic sessions, teaching grand rounds and nephropathology sessions are major highlights. Consultants of this department are regular faculty for national, state and regional conferences and department has published many papers in peer reviewed journals. Postgraduates are encouraged to present research papers for national and state level conferences.
Highlights of the department
- High volume renal transplant
- State-of-the-art-hemodialysis Unit with online haemodiafiltration
- ICU with CVVH, CVVH and CVVHDF
- Apheresis machines for plasmapheresis
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
- Kidney Biopsy with in-house nephropathologist and electron microscopy
- Teaching programme for nephrology trainees (DNB in Nephrology)
Dr. Abi Abraham M
Director - Nephrology and Chief of Renal Transplant Services
MD, DM, DNB, FISN, FASN, FRCP
- Dr. Abi Abraham M has more than 27 years of experience (after DM) both as a clinician and academician.
- He has a wide range of experience in renal transplantation, critical care nephrology, vasculitis, lupus and electrolyte disorders.
- He has been awarded three prestigious fellowships, has widely cited publications in peer-reviewed journals, memberships in many renal societies and held administrative positions in organizations.
- He was the Associate Professor of Nephrology, Christian Medical College, Vellore.
- Performed more than 1600 renal transplants in Lakeshore hospital in the last 16 years.
- Successfully performed several complex kidney transplants including across the blood group, sensitized, re-transplant, elderly transplant and pediatric transplants.
- Established a successful large maintenance dialysis programme.
- Developed Lakeshore Hospital as the biggest centre for critical care nephrology and as the centre performing largest number of CRRT in the state of Kerala.
- Runs a training programme in nephrology (DNB nephrology)
- Was the organizing chairman of the last annual conference (2021) of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation (ISOT)